Home

Home

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

NOt a WHite CHristmas?

Good Tuesday morning,
I have been up for a few hours; enjoying the quietness and drinking coffee.
The weather forecasters are saying , NO White Christmas for us. Oh geez. I always look forward to snow on Christmas. I don't care if it doesn't snow any other day- just snow THAT day.


SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW....... maybe if I chant it enough it will be here on Christmas. lol

Yesterday I made two batches of the Chocolate Chex® Caramel Crunch. click here for recipe.

I got to say this stuff is yummy!! I have never been one to like all those "mixes" but, this one rocks!! You don't even need to drizzle the white chocolate on it.

Lets see, what else did I get done? I made 3 batches of microwave peanut brittle and a wonderful cheese & beef spread.

These are my own recipes so if you have questions, ask me. I may not have quite clarified something.


MICROWAVE PEANUT BRITTLE

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup salted peanuts (I use the cheapy ones from Aldi's, they are salted)
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS
LIGHLTY butter or spray a cookie sheet.
Combine sugars and corn syrup in a 2 quart glass bowl and microwave on high 4 minutes.
Stir in peanuts and microwave on high 3 minutes more, then stir in butter and vanilla and microwave for 1 minute.
Stir in baking soda until light and foamy. Pour onto cookie sheet and spread thin. Cool completely and break into pieces and serve.
* alot of recipes call for one cup of white sugar and no brown sugar. I use half cup each and brittle gets the warm honey color that you normally see.
** one more thing. I warm my cookie sheet in the oven for a few minutes (put it in before you start making brittle) on 200 degrees. it helps the brittle spread/thin out on the pan since its warm. otherwise brittle starts to "set up" as soon as it hits the cold cookie sheet.



CHEESE & BEEF SPREAD

I used
3 pkgs. of cream cheese( any brand, large pack)
1 package of dried beef, cut up in small pieces
2/3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 green onions( just the green part, diced very small)
paprika
soften cream cheese in microwave bowl. add all other ingredients( except paprika), mix well. place in serving container, sprinkle lightly with paprika . cover and refrig. till needed.
I serve it with crusty bread or crackers. :)
* it is easier to spread if you remove from refrig about an hour before serving


In the last few years, I have really cut back on all the Chirstmas baking. I bake alot all through the year. lol.
I am mixing up a batch of buttermilk cookies later today. They are very easy to make and so old fashioned; without all the sprinkles and crazy colored icings you see this time of year. lol
As soon as they are done , I will post a pic. :)


This year for Christmas dinner, we are all fixing something Italian to take to my dad's. I haven't decided what to make yet. I know, I know, I am waiting till the last second.

So far, our menu includes:
lasagna
garlic bread
salad
manicotti
chickew wings( I know they are not italian). A friend of my sister , kelly, is coming. and that his best dish -he says. :). His mom and dad are both gone and he would be by himself otherwise. He is 23 and such a little cutie. lol
Anyways, back to the menu.............
iced tea
and a dessert
Anyone have any suggestions of something simple( thats italian) I can fix? We need another pasta dish.
What do you think we should have for dessert? I vetoed the idea of german choc. cake. I think its too much, too heavy with a bunch of pasta dishes.


Come on, give me some ideas. :)

8 comments:

  1. Cannolis......for dessert! With ricotta cheese filling, with mini choc chips - very Italian! Ive got a great recipe for the filling, its from my grandmother who came over from Calabria.

    Hey Im cooking manicotti, meatballs, salad and g bread too:)

    Great minds..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of another pasta dish how about some kind of Italian soup? And of course Tiramisu for dessert. Merry Christmas.
    Dinner sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas so far! I don't really have one to add, as I don't really know that much about Italian cooking except for spaghetti and lasagna!

    I will be wishing a white Christmas for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, PW has a great tiramisu recipe. Looks easy! Merry Christmas!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kim!!!

    A few posts ago you mentioned a white tree, I just ordered one of these tabletop trees, ck them out, super cute!!! Pretty good size too, just right for a "theme tree."

    http://store.dayspring-store.com/whchfetr.html

    MerryMerryChristmas Friend!
    xoxoL~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted a cute and witty recipe and it said I was in duplicat error and took it away. Oh well Have a great Christmas.
    JeanM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummo - sounds like a wonderful menu! ENjoy and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have gotten behind on my reading so this comment is really late.
    So you're the one bringing all the snow. I live in Seattle (transplanted 2 yrs ago from Utah). I was told they don't get a lot of snow here.... now I know why they are "} I don't comment very often but I really do enjoy your blog. I leave my decorations up until the New Year... I guess I'm trying to make it last longer. I know what you mean about missing your children. This is the first Christmas that the Mr and I have spent alone since we were first married. Our 5 daughters are in 3 other states along with our 11 grands. Thanks for your wonderful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete